Call For Papers
The recent proliferation of international courts and jurisdictions raises a number of important issues concerning the coherence of the international legal order in this respect.
One may, inter alia, ask:
a) To what extent do the jurisdictional powers of these courts overlap?
b) How can they assist each other?
c) Is the case-law of each of those courts of any use in the other court’s opinions?
d) Do they abide by identical rules in matters of procedure?
The Portuguese branch of the International Law Association will organize in September 2014 a regional conference addressing these issues. The conference will include as speakers well-known judges and scholars, several of which from Portuguese-speaking countries around the world, such as Angola, Brazil and Cape Verde. It will also give young researchers the opportunity of presenting their papers.
PhD Candidates and Post-Doc students are hereby invited to submit their contributions dealing with the following topics addressed by the conference:
1. The Growing Role of International Courts and Jurisdictions: The Permanent Court of International Justice, The International Court of Justice, and Beyond
2. The International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea
3. International Inspection and Control Mechanisms
4. European and Other Regional Courts of Human Rights
5. Dispute Resolution Mechanisms Concerning International Trade and Investment, in Particular within WTO And ICSID
6. International Commercial Arbitration
7. The Court of Justice of the European Union
8. Domestic Courts as International Jurisdictions? The Limits of Personal Jurisdiction of Domestic Courts Regarding Damages for Violations of International Law
Authors should send a one-page abstract in English of their contribution with a short CV to firstname.lastname@example.org until 31 March 2014.
Accepted candidates will be informed in April 2014.
Final papers (with a maximum of ten pages) must be delivered until 30 June 2014.
Monday, February 10, 2014
Call for Papers: International Law Association Regional Conference 2014
2014 International Law Association Regional Conference, to take place September 11-12, 2014, in Lisbon. Organized by the Sociedade Portuguesa de Direito Internacional, the conference will take place at the Faculdade de Direito da Universidade de Lisboa. Here's the call: