CALL FOR PAPERS
Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law
4th Annual Conference
University of Cambridge, 8–9 May 2015
Conversations on Democratic Governance in International,
European and Comparative Law
The editors of the Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law (CJICL) and Hart Publishing welcome submissions for the Journal’s 4th annual conference to be held at the University of Cambridge on 8–9 May 2015. Conference highlights include a keynote address by Dame Rosalyn Higgins, DBE, QC, former President of the International Court of Justice.
The CJICL welcomes a wide variety of proposals in the fields of International, European and Comparative Law which identify current challenges to democratic governance and explore promising solutions. The conference theme understands democracy as a work in progress and attempts to promote a fruitful exchange on various transnational experiences. Papers can encompass empirical approaches, theoretical discussions and perspectives from practice.
Topics of interest for submission include, but are not limited to:
- Contemporary challenges of transnational democracy (global and European);
- Democracy and the sources of international law;
- Parliamentary democracy in times of economic and financial crisis;
- Counter-terrorism and democracy;
- New forms of democratic accountability;
- Domestic referenda on international agreements;
- Democracy and the use of force;
- The role of courts in defining and protecting democratic governance;
- Transparency and the principle of democracy;
- Public-private partnerships and democratic representation;
- Democratic representation of refugees;
- Comparative perspectives on democratic governance.
Accepted papers will be considered for publication in a special issue of the Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law. Abstracts should be submitted on the basis that the subsequent paper will be available for publication.
Submission of paper proposal and CV: 16 January 2015
Notification of acceptance: 6 February 2015
Final paper submission: 17 April 2015
Submission of paper for publication in CJICL: 30 June 2015
Applications can be submitted at www.cjicl.org.uk. They should include a paper proposal of not more than 300 words and a brief biography or CV.
General registration for the conference will open in February 2015 on our website. Numbers are limited and early registration is highly recommended. We are eager to invite both scholars and practitioners to participate in our conference and are currently endeavouring to have attendance at the conference CPD accredited.
Monday, November 24, 2014
Call for Papers: Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law Fourth Annual Conference
The Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law has issued a call for papers for its fourth annual conference, which will take place May 8-9, 2015, at the University of Cambridge. The theme is "Developing Democracy: Conversations on Democratic Governance in International, European and Comparative Law." Here's the call: